A re-creation of the original steam-powered mine railway from 1877. Runs from Laxey Valley Gardens up to the foot of the hill below The Great Laxey Wheel (Lady Isabella). Power is by replicas of the original Lewin-built locos, 'Ant & Bee', and a 1073 electric loco (WASP) built by Clayton. The gauge is 19in., the only one in the British Isles, and it runs through a 70m long tunnel en route.
- Souvenir Shop
- Part disabled access
Laxey & Lonan Heritage Trust
Mines Road Laxey Valley Gardens Laxey Isle of Man
12 Apr-Sep Sat & BHol. Also Sun Aug planned. Check website for updates.
By Bus: 3, 3A, 3B, 3C
By Rail: Laxey / miles
Located in the village of Laxey, on the eastern coast of the Isle of Man, the restored railway runs along the surface section of the tramway which once carried lead and zinc ores from deep inside the Great Laxey Mine.
The railway's terminus is located at the Valley Gardens which was once the site of the Great Laxey Mine's Washing Floors. Passengers travel in a tiny carriage, hauled by a replica of one of the original steam engines, through the Island's only railway tunnel and along the line which once carried wagons loaded with the metal ores.