The centre is jam packed with items, memorabilia and arefacts of the amazing feats of history of the island.
- Souvenir Shop
- Part disabled access
69 High Street Blue Town Sheerness-on-Sea Kent ME12 1RW
By Rail: Sheerness-on-Sea / .7 miles
The present heritage centre is on the site of 2 earlier establishments. Originally the “New Inn” in 1868 the site became “The Royal Oxford Music Hall”. The following year the building, which is situated a few doors down from the court house, became The Criterion public house, with a music hall called 'The Palace of Varieties' situated immediately to its rear. This offered “rational amusement for all classes” including in April 1876, a one armed juggler! In 1879 the earlier building was replaced with a brick built one.
The main space at the centre and the pride and joy is The Criterion. After being damaged and falling into disrepair, following a German bombing raid in WW1, the room has been lovingly restored over the past few years to its new found glory and continues its main purpose of entertaining the public once again with a wide variety of entertainments.