The museum for Caerphilly County Borough including a stationary twin tandem compound steam winding engine built in 1891 for the former Elliot Colliery. It has a 'Diablo' type winding drum. The engine is run (by electricity) at 12 noon on the last Sat in each month (not Dec).
- Souvenir Shop
- Full disabled access
Caerphilly County Borough Council
Cross Street New Tredegar Caerphilly NP24 6EG
Tue-Fri 1000-1700, Sat 1100-1600. (Closed 1, 7, 15 Mar.) (Closed Christmas period.)
By Bus: From Bargoed
By Rail: Tirphil - Rhymney Valley Line / .75 miles
Built on the site of the former Elliot Colliery and its centre-piece is the original Victorian winding engine. This remarkable piece of machinery was used to operate the cages that transported men and coal between the surface and the mine below.