Vintage Spirit March 2019 - 200th Issue!
- 200 And Counting - looking back over 200 issues of Vintage Spirit
- Ally Pally 2019
- Getting All Pumped Up – Westonzoyland Pumping Station
- Awakened Aveling – ex-Thursford roller steams after 60 years
- Discovering Scotland’s Rural Heritage
- Across The Forest – steaming through the New Forest
...plus all the latest news and event reports
In this issue
200 And Counting
It all started rather unexpectedly over 16 years ago. Brian Gooding has been there for most of that time. Here he looks back at his involvement with the magazine.
Ally Pally 2019
The London Model Engineering Exhibition is always a popular show. James Hamiton went along to pick out some personal hightlights.
Getting All Pumped Up
John Hannavy spent New Year’s Day at Westonzoyland Pumping Station.
Peter Hammond looks back over 200 issues of Vintage Spirit and picks a few highlights of his involvement with the magazine.
Aveling & Porter 8-ton road roller No.10780 moved once again under its own power in August 2018 after lying dormant for over 60 years. Jim Gerrard reports from Somerset.
At The Turn Of The Year
James Hamilton travelled out after Christmas to enjoy some winter steam on the road.
Last summer’s Thames Traditional Boat Festival was the 40th such event. Brian Gooding went along to swelter in the heat.
Challenges for a Signwriter
Phil Anderson discusses the challenges of working out the correct colours from old photos, in particular faded black & white ones.
200 Issues of Fun
As the magazine reaches a milestone issue, Ken Rimell looks back at some of the highlights of his time with Vintage Spirit.
Discovering Scotland’s Rural Heritage
The National Museum of Rural Life is a nostalgic reminder of farming methods in the 1950s. Bob Weir went to East Kilbride to take a trip back in time.
Kiwi Lake Cruising
Peter Brockington looks fondly at a well known lake steamer in New Zealand that has been plying the waters there for over a century.
Across The Forest
David Hargrave photographed Doug Hynd’s venerable Aveling engine as it headed across the New Forest and beyond towards last year’s Great Dorset Steam Fair.
You may also like
- Off To See The Mayor
- Dunstable Diamonds
- Manx Electric Railway 125 – Part 2
- Getting A Sweet Tooth – Barbados steam-powered sugar factories
- Boxing Day Bash – steam gathering at Horsham
- The ‘Tranny’
- What A Gem – Australian Marshall restored
- Exploring the Avon Valley
- Eastwards To Avalon – the little known Glastonbury Canal in Somerset
- Glorious Gillingham
- Recovery Is His Business
- The Future of Steam Preservation Is In Your Hands
Subscribe to Vintage Spirit and save up to 25% off the cover price, and receive your copy straight from the printers...
Get your copy of the most comprehensive annual guide to Britain’s steam railways, heritage museums and events.