Vintage Spirit January 2019
- A Day Out With The Big Guns
- Restoring the Steam Tug ‘Noordzee’
- The Brooklands’ Great War 100
- Celebrating A Steam Life
- A Magnificent Survivor – Gladstone Pottery Museum
- Manx Electric Railway 125 (Part 1)
- Restoring the Spinners Engine
...plus all the latest news and event reports
In this issue
A Day Out With The Big Guns
A few weeks before Armistice Day, Colin Hatch and team hauled a replica howitzer to the former Great Western Railway works at Swindon to raise funds for charity. Colin tells the story of the day.
Restoring the Steam Tug ‘Noordzee’
Fred van de Geer tells the story of a Netherlands-based steam tug with a wartime history which is undergoing a major restoration.
The Brooklands’ Great War 100
James Hamilton spent a day at the home of British motor racing which also played an important part in the First World War as an aircraft factory.
Celebrating A Steam Life
Jim Gerrard looks over the life of a real steam gentleman and the celebration of his life held in early November.
A Magnificent Survivor
John Hannavy returns to the Gladstone Pottery Museum 40 years after his first visit.
Manx Electric Railway 125 (Part 1)
John Maund enjoyed a week on the Isle of Man as the electric railway celebrated its 125th Anniversary.
Roddy Patterson from Perth & Kinross owns a superb 1986 ex-army Foden, as Bob Weir recently discovered.
Restoring the Spinners Engine
Will Hall travelled to the west of Manchester to see the restoration work on a large cotton mill engine.
Autumn in the Chilterns
James Hamilton enjoyed the annual Chiltern TEC road run which poses several challenges over the short route.
Small is Smart
The annual Scottish Vintage Tractor and Engine Club (SVTEC) rally hosts one of the largest gatherings of stationary engines in Scotland, as Bob Weir recently discovered.
You Just Don’t See These Anymore...
Peter Brockington visited a reader with a very unusual vehicle which he had restored.
Sunny, Soggy, Sodem
Dick Bodily dodged the showers on Armistice weekend to enjoy the SoDEM road run in Oxfordshire.
Wandering Around Newark
Jim Wilkie reports on things of interest he found at the 2018 Newark Tractor Show.
You may also like
- Autumn Ploughing
- True Diversification – stunning new engine canopies
- Two’s Company – a pair of AEC Mandator
- Pete’s Engine – a half size Burrell
- A Dream Come True – building a new Showman's van
- Little Loco ‘Tom Thumb’ – a very early American railway loco
- Ferguson Frenzy in Herefordshire
- Off To See The Mayor
- Dunstable Diamonds
- Manx Electric Railway 125 – Part 2
- Getting A Sweet Tooth – Barbados steam-powered sugar factories
- Boxing Day Bash – steam gathering at Horsham
- The ‘Tranny’
Subscribe to Vintage Spirit and save up to 25% off the cover price, and receive your copy straight from the printers...
Get your copy of the most comprehensive annual guide to Britain’s steam railways, heritage museums and events.