Vintage Spirit December 2018
- Autumn Ploughing
- True Diversification – stunning new engine canopies
- Two’s Company – a pair of AEC Mandator
- Pete’s Engine – a half size Burrell
- A Dream Come True – building a new Showman's van
- Little Loco ‘Tom Thumb’ – a very early American railway loco
- Ferguson Frenzy in Herefordshire
...plus all the latest news and event reports
In this issue
James Hamilton tried his hand at steering the plough at the Weald of Kent Ploughing Match.
A new and expanding part of a Cornish joinery business is the making of steam engine canopies. Brian Gooding travelled to Camborne to see for himself.
Intrigue Among The Engines
Peter Hammond finds yet another mystery item at an auction sale.
AEC Mandator lorries are becoming thin on the ground, but there are two survivors living just outside Scotland’s capital, as Bob Weir recently discovered.
Ferguson Frenzy in Herefordshire
Tim Bolton reports on the Colin Powell collection auction.
This year’s Dorset (GDSF) was full of “First Time Outs”. Keith Reynolds reports on the first six inch scale engine built “the proper way”, in the words of Turbo.
A Dream Come True
Jim Gerrard visits a company that has just built its first new traditional showman’s wagon and is restoring others.
Raining On Quainton’s Parade
James Hamilton made an overdue visit to the Bucks Railway Centre, a trip that coincided with a break in the weather.
Another Amazing Lifetime’s Collection
Peter Hammond reports on a keenly-awaited dispersal sale.
Ploughing in the Cold
Bob Weir reports from this year’s Scottish Ploughing Championships.
In Mid Channel
Peter Brockington spent a day on the island of Lundy off the north Devon coast and found some interesting relics.
Jim Gerrard enjoyed the steam display that is always part of one Dorset carnival.
A Little Loco – ‘Tom Thumb’
Eric Bryan looks at the story of a very early and diminutive locomotive built to prove that steam could run on one particular American railway.
Victorian Fowlers at Ploughing Challenge
Dick Bodily enjoyed a day at this year’s ploughing championships in the Midlands, despite the stormy weather.
You may also like
- Frederick’s World Record Run
- Rallying For The Stars
- On The Voie Sacree
- Pottering Around The Peaks
- Tractors Across The Plain
- A Day Out With The Big Guns
- Restoring the Steam Tug ‘Noordzee’
- The Brooklands’ Great War 100
- Celebrating A Steam Life
- A Magnificent Survivor – Gladstone Pottery Museum
- Manx Electric Railway 125 (Part 1)
- Restoring the Spinners Engine
Subscribe to Vintage Spirit and save up to 25% off the cover price, and receive your copy straight from the printers...