The mine is an extensive and important lead mine complex, first recorded in 1759 and last noted as a potential going concern in 1903. It was supplied with water for power and processing purposes from at least five reservoirs in the late 19th century. It's the site of one of Wales’ richest mines, with a combined output of over 100,000 tons of lead and zinc ores. Pumping was done by a 40ft waterwheel, but with a steam engine for winding and crushing was bought in 1841. A large new reservoir was built and the old ones improved in order to maintain a supply of water for the wheel. By July 1863, however, the mine was 103 fathoms deep.